Kartik Purnima 2022: Vrat Date, Puja Vidhi, Daan and Significance
Category: Full Moon
Posted on: Nov 08, 2022
Purnima in Shukla Paksha of the month of Kartik is called Kartik Purnima. Lord Shiva slew the demon Tripurasura on this day, so this Purnima is also known as Tripuri Purnima. If the Krittika Nakshatra occurs on this day, Vedas refer to it as Mahakartiki. If it is the Bharani Nakshatra, a person will experience favorable outcomes. And if Rohini Nakshatra is present on this day, the significance of Kartik Purnima multiplies tenfolds.
People believe that on the eve of Kartik Purnima, Lord Vishnu took the Matsya Avatar. On this day, after a Ganga Snan (bathing in the Ganges River), lighting lamps and donating items yields results equivalent to ten Yagyas. Kartik Purnima has also been called an auspicious festival by the Gods (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Angira and Aaditya).
Significance of Kartik Purnima
Tripura was a demon who lived during ancient times. He did strict austerity (Ghor Tapasya) in Prayagraj for one lakh years. When all the living things and deities (Devta) saw how devoted he was, they were scared. So, the Gods sent Apsara, or nymphs, to break his Tapasya, but it didn't work. Tripurasura's persistence (Tapasya) made Lord Brahma happy, so he showed up in front of him and asked him to make a wish.
Tripurasura desired that neither a god nor a person would kill him. Brahma Ji let him fulfill his wish, and the demon became fearless and started tormenting everyone. Not only that, but he also went to Kailash to conquer it. There, he fought with God Shiva, and with the help of God Brahma and God Vishnu, Shiva killed him.
Astrology considers Purnima in the month of Kartik as one of the holiest Purnimas of the year. On this day, charitable contributions and deeds yield virtuous outcomes. If the Moon is in Krittika Nakshatra and the Sun is in Vishaka Nakshatra on Kartik Purnima, it makes Padmak Yoga, which is very rare. And the Purnima is called Maha Purnima if the Moon and Jupiter are in Krittika Nakshatra on this day. By celebrating Tripura Utsava and lighting lamps (Deep Daan) on the evening of Kartik Purnima, the pain and sufferings of the past life end.
Kartik Purnima Puja Vidhi and Daan
The Kartik Purnima Vrat rituals of Ganga Snan, lighting lamps (Deep Daan), Hom (Aahuti), Yagya, and worshiping Gods have great significance.
Worshippers perform the following ceremonies on this day:
- In the morning, vow to observe the fast. Take a bath in a holy lake, river, or pond.
- At the moonrise, one must worship the six deities Shiva, Santati, Priti, Anusuiya, and Kshama.
- By fasting and donating a bull on the night of Kartik Purnima, one attains Shiv Pada. Donating a cow or an elephant, a horse, a chariot (Ratha), or Ghee on this day bestows more incredible wealth.
- Donation of a sheep reduces yoga's adverse effects through planetary alignments.
- Starting the Kartik Purnima, if a person fasts on each Purnima and sings devotional songs (Jagrans) during that night, God will grant all their wishes.
- On this Purnima day, a devotee who keeps fasting must perform the Havan and feed the needy and poor.
- To conclude the fast, one must take a bath in the Yamuna River (Kartik Snan) and then light lamps (Deep Daan) while worshiping Radha-Krishna.
Kartik Purnima Vrat Date
Kartik Purnima is on Tuesday, November 8, 2022